SoScover_zpstyv82xgj.jpg

Hmm. Another offering from the early 70s horror/Exorcist craze. Mind you, I think the premise (offspring of a demon and a mortal woman struggling to be good, at least mostly) is sound, and sometimes the writers are able to make good use of it.

sos01b_zpsypcmgl37.jpg

But often things just fall on the wrong side of stupid and/or boring. This seems to be especially the case when writers try to come up with suitable superpowered adversaries (ha) to Daimon. Possessor... Meh. Mindstar... Bah. Legion of Nihilists... If only I could understand why they are actually doing any of the stuff they do. I mean, if nothing matters, why not just jump under the bus and be done with it? Madam Swabada and her Tarot deck was pretty good, though.

More straight-forward horror/possession stories usually work better, and here I think Daimon's university career is kind of interesting. How many university professors had their own comic mag?!? Also, this was a good way to build supporting cast and, yes, potential romantic interests. Who apparently like to be smacked around. Not very PC. And hey, the way SoS flies... FAIL.

sos01c_zpsdlcjglzq.jpg

I am glad Steve Gerber ditched the ridiculous Daimon-turns-into-Son-of-Satan-at-night thing. Did they want to make him like the early Hulk?!? Oh yeah, the Netheranium thing... WHY?!? The way Daimon walks into Hell just like it's a mine under his house.... Not very imaginative.

Art is really uneven. In early issues Herb Trimpe gives us some cool images.

SoS01a_zpsp5umniga.jpg

Gene Colan knows his way around the occult.

sos01d_zpsogmb0ccs.jpg

sos01f_zps3on8lbrj.jpg

Sonny Trinidad had some cool psychedelic stuff..

sos01e_zpsievmi7yk.jpg

Russ Heath's art is gorgeous.

sos01g_zpse5uzgsct.jpg

=============

Comicsdad 

Last Edited By: Comicsdad Feb 13 17 3:33 PM. Edited 1 time.