It's taken me a long time to get to this point. I've been hoarding Firestorm and JLA issues with the intention of putting together some custom bindings, inspired by the fantastic work I've seen done here and other places I've been lurking. After much investigation, it didn't look like I could get good quality binding done in Australia for a price that made it interesting.
This led to me contemplating what was actually involved in a DIY approach. After looking at a bunch of examples and some pretty ordinary instructions, I stumbled across this guy's YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/Ceropegia
#@+! it, I could do that. I just needed the bits and pieces, and a couple hours spare time to finally kick it off.
Rather than start with what will be "my precious", i.e. Firestorm, I started with something else that didn't cost me much of an outlay. I know Kirby's Black Panther run has already been collected, but I wouldn't mind having a volume to put next to the Forth World and Demon books. I even threw in the final few non-Kirby issues for good measure.
Contents page printed, staples removed:
First signatures sewn, using first kettle stitch:
All signatures sewn:
Next step: Endpapers and spine dressing.
I then started working on a few other books, including two books each of Billy Batson and Batman The Brave and the Bold for my boy. It was becoming quite a production line, with 9 books in various stages of the process, but with no end product. With Christmas approaching I decided I needed to take a slight diversion and I fast-tracked an early Christmas present for the boy.
A very happy boy, and I was pretty happy with the first output.